Chapter 9 - Laws of Psychological Life
The Forgiveness Processes and the
Goodwill Patterns, or transpersonal mind-sets (see
Patterns of Unconditional Love in Action - The Goodwill Patterns
in the next section), enable you to do this. They enable you to make conscious
the dynamic power that is available to you from the transpersonal level of your
The following are drawn from "The Act of Will" by Roberto Assagioli.
1. Images or mental pictures and ideas tend to produce the physical conditions and external events that correspond to them. Energy follows thought. Thoughts are living entities that tend to actualize. (Thus take care what images and mental pictures you create).
2. Attitudes, movements, and actions tend to evoke the corresponding mental images and ideas; these in turn tend to evoke and intensify the corresponding emotions and feelings. (This is the basis of Gestalt, psychodrama, catharsis and other action therapies).
3. Ideas and images tend to awaken emotions and feelings that correspond to them. (This, and the next two are used in advertising).
4. Emotions and impressions tend to awaken and intensify ideas and images that correspond to them or are associated with them. (Repeating negative memories increases their harmful effect upon us).
5. Needs, urges, drives, and desires tend to arouse corresponding images, ideas, and emotions, and thus behaviors. These patterns can cluster around specific unmet needs and form "subpersonalities".
6. Attention, interest, affirmations, and repetitions reinforce the ideas, images, and psychological formations on which they are centered. (This can be used to overcome resistances from the lower unconscious, and thus overcome habits. It is also the pathway whereby habitual negative thought, inner and outer speech continues to generate negative effects).
7. Repetition of actions intensifies the urge to further repetition, and renders their execution easier and better, until they become performed unconsciously. (This is how habits, good and bad, develop and can be reversed. e.g. lying v. being truthful).
8. All the various functions and their manifold combinations in complexes and sub personalities adopt means of achieving their aims without our awareness, independently of, and even against, our conscious will. (Until you become aware, and make a conscious choice!)
9. Urges, drives, desires, and emotions tend to demand to be expressed. (That is, they have energy and force).
10. The psychological energies can find
expression (a). Directly , on a task, or by direct verbalization (b). Indirectly
(through symbolic action or catharsis), (c). Through the process of
Transmutation, (lifting to a higher correspondence, e.g. anger (passion) to
compassion, fear to courage etc.)
Exercise: Write about the action of these laws in your own life,
what you have learned about them,
and how you could apply your knowledge of them more skillfully in the future.
Continue to next section: Part I - Introductory Section - Maps & Tools - Common 9
By purchasing your books or CDs at Amazon.com using our link, you will help support this website. Thank you!
Copyright © 2002-2009